Our DIY summer

a workshop ontaking photosof people

This summer we really tried to put alot of work into the house. One thing I’ve been dying to redo since we moved in was my kitchen!

The kitchen was not something I really put high on the list when we were house shopping, I knew no matter what the kitchen looked like I could DIY it to suit our style. So we started out with this ….

10649667_10152522332116693_1791121672514171324_n

First thing I did was paint the kitchen to match the rest of the house. Its not a color I really LOVED…. but at least it was better than the weird yellow with orange accent that stuck out from the rest of the downstairs.

Finally over a year after we bought the house, we painted the downstairs. We wanted grey but ended up with a really nice blue/grey.

We then spray painted the counter tops to cover up our white laminate tops that stained all the time! Easiest and cheapest way to update this! We used 2 coats of Rustoleum stone spray and then painted a poly-acrylic top coat on it. I recommend either lots of coats of the Poly-acrylic or doing an epoxy top coat. I will probably end up doing the epoxy unless we completely replace the counter tops, as the 3 top coats I did are not enough and it is chipping in some spots. But other blogs I’ve read had said 7+ coats.. I’m just too impatient between dry times! LOL!!

Next was the cupboards…. the pale cream just looked worn and dirty.. must be 15+ years old. Brand new cabinets were not in the budget. So I took to Pinterest and found this great blog on how to stain your cabinets!

Gel stain was the easiest! First I did my  2 smaller bathroom cabinets to try it out. Then I tackled the KITCHEN! The hardest part was sanding… sanding cabinets was just soo time consuming and I didn’t sand down to bare wood just enough to take off the finish.
After sanding I used a combo of foam brushes and the sock over a glove method to applying the stain. Overall I prefer the foam brushes, and its less of a mess. I put on 2 full coats and then some touch ups.

Plus middle of summer in Texas…. it was a workout! But I think it turned out so great!! I used the same gel stain as the blog I found the idea from and you can get it here..

We ended up spending less than $150 on paint, stain, brushes, etc.

**not including the new floor… that was additional but really needed over our old stained concrete floors

We will be doing a backsplash at some point in time and finishing the bottom trim as well.

13692594_10153809758871693_469996612050173103_n

Next I’m looking at ways to accessorize the kitchen to give it a bit more personality! Check out my kitchen pinterest boards to see my inspiration! Hopefully I can post a decorated kitchen pic soon!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s